Top Things to Do at Discovery Place Nature in May
Discovery Place Nature
May marks the unofficial kickoff of summer! Join us for our monthly theme – Night Life -- to learn about the creatures that are just beginning to stir as the sun sets. From fireflies and moths to bats and raccoons, the top things to do this month will light up the night..
Every Wednesday and Saturday at 12:30 p.m., you will find special story times and activities to explore nocturnal animals, insect life cycles and animal adaptations.
- Bat Sense: Wednesday, May 2 & Saturday, May 5. Ever wonder how a bat navigates through the dark? Join us and learn how bats get around so well at night! Listen to a story and play a game to explore the special adaptations bats use.
- The Eyes Have It: Wednesday, May 9 & Saturday, May 12 Have you ever seen animal eyes peering through the forest at night? Visit the Museum and explore the mammals of North Carolina and how they see at night. Check out some of our animal pelts and skulls, and join us in the planetarium for a special “night time” animal hunt.
- Fantastic Fireflies: Wednesday, May 16 & Wednesday, May 30. Fireflies are one of many animals capable of bioluminescence, meaning they produce their own light. Join us as we explore the life cycle of a firefly and make our very own firefly catchers to take home. (Dragonfly Theatre)
- Who’s There: Wednesday, May 23 & Saturday, May 26. Listen to an exciting talk from one of our animal keepers about owls and how they're adapted to life at night. Stick around and watch a feeding with our very own screech owl. (Dragonfly Theatre)
What’s This Month’s Creature Feature?
Slippery Salamanders & Fantastic Frogs – Saturday, May 19, 9:00 a.m. – noon.
Did you know that North Carolina has more species of salamander than any other state in the country? As many as 30 species of frogs and toads can be found across our State! Join us for a day of animal encounters and salamander hikes. Stay for a special citizen science program and a selfie with Sal the resident salamander!
What’s Happening Outside?
On Saturdays, we host outdoor walks at 10:15 a.m. They are on different days so try them both!
- Bird Walk – Saturday, May 5, 10:15 a.m. Join us on the first Saturday of each month for a leisurely walk around the Museum and Freedom Park. We’ll be looking and listening for seasonal and resident birds found in Charlotte and the surrounding areas this time of year. (Great Hall)
- Nature Walk – Saturday, May 26, 10:15 a.m. Join one of our Naturalists for a stroll around Discovery Place Nature’s Paw Paw Nature Trail. We’ll use our senses of sight, hearing, smell and touch to discover the beauty and diversity of the bottomland forest habitat. (Great Hall)
What Can We Do on Memorial Day?
Discovery Place Nature will be open on this special Monday with a full schedule of fun-filled, educational activities for kids of all ages. Check the daily schedule for details.