What’s Happening in June at Discovery Place Nature
Discovery Place Nature
Summer’s here and the wildflowers are in bloom. Join us throughout the month of June for "Pollination Station" as we learn about the critters that frolic from flower to flower, from hummingbirds and bees to bats and butterflies.
Check out some of the best summer activities for kids that are good for young minds and better for the environment.
Every Wednesday and Saturday at 12:30 p.m., join us for special story times and activities where kids and adults alike will get to explore wildflowers, feed butterflies and discover the wilderness on the Paw Paw Nature Trail.
- Hummingbirds: Saturday, June 2 & Wednesday, June 13 - The ruby-throated hummingbirds have returned to North Carolina from their annual migration in Central America. Join us for a special story time and build your very own hummingbird to take home.
- Busy Bees: Wednesday, June 6 & Saturday, June 9 - Have you ever seen inside of a bee hive? Join a Museum beekeeper in the Naturalist Lab and see inside a bee hive! Visitors will learn about the challenges and benefits of working with nature’s most effective pollinators.
- Wildflower Walk: Wednesday, June 20 & Saturday, June 23 - Join a naturalist for a fun and informative native wildflower walk on the Paw Paw Nature Trail. Learn what native wildflowers are blooming in your area and even catch a glimpse of some pollinators of the Piedmont.
- Feeding Frenzy: Wednesday, June 27 & Saturday, June 30 - Join us in Butterfly Pavilion for a fun butterfly story and stick around to help feed our butterflies.
Can we meet any animals this month?
Yes! This month’s Creature Feature is Farm Day on Saturday, June 16, 9:00 a.m. – noon. You’ll want to make hay while the sun shines at this popular annual event. Meet some of your favorite farm animals, participate in farm-themed crafts and activities and learn more about why farmers are so important.
And, on Saturdays, try the outdoor nature walks where you never know what animals you might see!
- Bird Walk: Saturday, June 2, 10:15 a.m. - Join a Museum naturalist for a leisurely walk around the Museum and Freedom Park. We’ll be looking and listening for seasonal and resident birds found in Charlotte and the surrounding areas this time of year.
- Nature Walk: Saturday, June 23, 10:15 a.m. - Take a stroll with a naturalist around Discovery Place Nature’s Paw Paw Nature Trail. We’ll use our senses of sight, hearing, smell and touch to discover the beauty and diversity of the bottom land forest habitat.